Purpose: To check out customer purchases quickly and efficiently, and to provide prompt, friendly, knowledgeable customer service. This role is vital for the efficiency of operations at the market and is the “final touch” of customer service.
Status: Reports to Front End Manager and Cashier supervisors.
- Assist customers by cashiering in a quick, efficient and accurate manner. This requires memorization of daily price changes, recognition of produce and familiarity with all products carried in the store as well as bagging.
- Provide excellent customer service by greeting customers and offer friendly helpful service.
- Check out customer purchases efficiently and accurately, using correct prices and PLU codes. As well as adhere to schedule, break times, and assigned checkstand assignment.
- Maintain cash drawer in a neat and orderly manner. Produce cash drops as prompted and maintain an adequate level of change in cash drawer. Responsible for arranging deposits as well as balancing the cash drawer daily.
- Know store policies, procedures, and products in order to give customer correct information and to answer questions. Refer unresolved questions to supervisors or department manager.
- Adhere to all security procedures and notify management of suspicious or disorderly customers, and any other emergencies.
- Keep management informed of any inaccurate prices, equipment repair, customer requests and concerns.
- Assist in training new cashiers and courtesy clerks.
- Collect and remove accumulated product,” go-backs”, on and around checkstand.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Front End Manager or Supervisor.
- Maintain register area in neat and clean condition. Notify manager of any equipment issues as well as maintaining magazine and candy displays during quiet times.
- Possess desire to work with the public and provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to project friendly, outgoing personality and work as a positive team member.
- Ability to handle multiple demands while working in a dynamic setting.
- Reliable, punctual, and have a strong work ethic.
- Attention to detail including the ability to memorize codes and recognize products.
- Able to stand for two or more hours at a time.
- Basic math skills required.
- Must be 18 years of age in order to check groceries.
- Have the ability to easily lift up to 40 lbs using proper lifting techniques and be able to work with repetitive physical arm motions for most of the shift.
- Flexibility in scheduling including nights and weekends.
- Able to effectively communicate in written and spoken English.