Position: Meat Cutter
Purpose: To cut and prepare all types of meat product for sale and to provide prompt, friendly, knowledgeable customer service in a fast paced meat and seafood department.
Status: Reports to Meat Department Supervisor and Manager.
- Assist customers in a prompt, friendly, and courteous manner. Offering suggestions and ideas of how to prepare and use the products.
- Be able to answer questions regarding product as well as having an overall familiarity with the store.
- Performs trimming and cutting of various meat species (beef, pork, chicken, etc.) for displays and for customer special requests.
- Ability to operate and maintain scales, and follow procedures to ensure proper pricing.
- Maintain attractive, fully stocked displays and cases.
- Package bulk meat products for retail sale.
- Construct trays of meat and poultry products, rotating product to maximize product freshness.
- Must have the ability to work quickly, efficiently, and safely, adhering to all requirements for safe food handling.
- Accurately label and sign items by price, description, and country of origin (COOL).
- Able to accurately weigh and wrap product adhering to Health Codes, and Dept. of Weights and Measures’ rules.
- Department Maintenance:
- Maintains the meat department in all areas including removal of garbage, washing floors, cases, and dishes, and other items as directed.
- Follow city and county food safety and sanitation regulations.
- Carry out opening and closing procedures.
- Follow established guidelines for use, safety, and maintenance for all department equipment including knives, saws, grinder, …
- Maintains all coolers, freezers, and storage areas in a neat, clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
- Ability to project a friendly, outgoing personality and work as a positive team member.
- Possesses the ability to cut and trim various meat species.
- Familiarity with cooking techniques is desirable.
- Able to handle multiple demands in a fast paced setting.
- Experience with using power equipment (saw, grinder, tenderizer, etc.) and possessing knife skills.
- Able to stand for two or more hours at a time.
- Basic math skills required.
- Willingness to work with meat and seafood.
- Able to understand written and spoken English.
- Willingness to work in a cold and wet environment.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment.
- Willingness to work with sanitizers and cleaners.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Must be 18 years of age to operate equipment.
- Willingness to work various shifts including early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Employees are always expected to follow their supervisors’ instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors and store management.