Purpose: To assist HABA Buyer, merchandise products, and supervise department staff to meet objectives for sales, margin, inventory turns, labor and customer service.
Status: Reports to Store Manager and HABA Manager.
- Stock displays fully without overcrowding; face items on shelves.
- Rotate older stock to front, making space for new stock or short coded items.
- Pull and record damaged products and returns following established procedures.
- Notify management of out-of-stocks and perform inventories when necessary.
- Receive and process all orders, notifying HABA Supervisor of all discrepancies (i.e. damaged or shorted items) and recording them as set forth by HABA Buyer.
- Inform HABA Supervisor of mislabeled products or missing/inaccurate shelf tags or sales signs and fill out the appropriate tag request form for the Point of Sale department.
- Monitor all bulk herbs and beauty care items. Fill or replace them as outlined by HABA Supervisor as needed.
- Stock department area, including but not limited to the shelves, racks, displays and shippers, rotating to ensure freshness following priorities set by HABA Buyer.
- Ensure that displays are attractive, fully stocked and neatly organized.
- Provide product information to customers and facilitate discussions on new product information for staff.
- Assist customers with product questions and special orders. Offer samples and suggestions for purchase and preparation. Arrange trainings for others in the department so that they may do so as well.
- Provide direction to department staff in stocking and maintaining department in HABA Manager’s absence.
- Ensure accurate signage is in place. Prepare with the Point of Sale department for price changes, on-sale and off-sale changes, and signage for new items.
- Troubleshoot department problems such as new item placement, Not-On-File items and Temporary Price Reductions (TPRs).
- Maintain department area, bins and shelves in clean, orderly condition, meeting health department standards.
- Participate in quarterly inventory counts & oversee inventory crew to ensure proper recording.
- Ensure regular inventorying of select vendors as prescribed by HABA Buyer with staff to maintain shelf stock.
- Get credit from suppliers where applicable for returned or damaged product.
- Maintain department equipment in working order. Advise store manager of equipment repair or replacement needs.
- Assist Customers with special order requests in prompt, friendly, courteous manner and follow through until customer receives the product.
- Report customer suggestions, comments and complaints to HABA Buyer or Store Manager.
- Spend as much time as possible in department to assist customers and deter theft.
- Stock and maintain displays fully to give feeling of abundance.
- Assist customers in finding and/or using reference materials and product samples.
- Follow security procedures. Alert Loss Prevention Personnel to potential shoplifters, disorderly customers and other emergencies.
Personnel - for Health and Beauty Department Staff:
- Ensure on-the-job training as assigned by HABA Buyer.
- Ensure coverage of shifts and manage scheduling for the department on a weekly basis.
- Set work priorities for HABA staff to ensure maximum efficiency of labor.
Perform other tasks assigned by HABA Manager:
- Attend, plan and/or participate in store/department meetings and trainings.
- Assist in new product analysis; provide input and recommendations as required by the HABA buyer.
- Supervisory experience--training, motivating, and directing.
- Well organized, pays attention to detail
- Demonstrated leadership skills – delegating, training, motivating, problem solving
- Capable of handling multiple demands while remaining calm and following through on commitments.
- Knowledgeable of products and trends in the natural foods industry
- Willingness to complete mandatory trainings
- Experience serving the public.
- Ability to work as a positive team member.
- Willing and able to offer friendly customer service.
- Communications skills--good listener, clear instructions.
- Enthusiasm and motivation for learning and updating product knowledge
- Ability to maintain a fast, steady pace.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Able to stand for two or more hours at a time.
- Basic math and computer skills required.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Employees are always expected to follow their supervisors’ instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors and store management.