Purpose: To increase sales and encourage customer loyalty by providing prompt, knowledgeable, friendly customer service and a clean and well stocked sales floor. As well as assist department manager with overall duties.
Status: Reports to Cheese Department Manager.
- Oversee that all displays are fully stocked, face, and rotated to ensure freshness, and to give the feeling of abundance.
- Pull short-date or low quality items, and record and dispose of them following established procedures.
- Ensure accurate, up-to-date shelf tags, signage, and labeling of items daily.
- Notify manager of product and supplies that are running low or out of stock.
- Oversee the cleanliness, safety and overall appearance of the department while adhering to all health department regulations.
- Prepare product for sale including cutting, wrapping, and labeling of cheese.
- Receive and check in shipments, as well as put product away immediately.
- Order product as needed.
- Assist customers with product questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner; having an overall familiarity with the store.
- Be familiar with the variety of cheeses and be able to assist customers with a cheese selection by offering tastes, samples, and suggestions for purchase, and ways to serve.
- Report customer suggestions, comments and complaints to Cheese department Manager.
- Assist in fulfilling special orders.
- Maintains and oversees displays, packing and storage areas in clean, safe, and orderly condition, this includes garbage removal, cleaning cases, shelves, trays, utensils, etc.
- Oversee and adhere to all city and county food safety and sanitation regulations.
- Oversee and follow established guidelines for the safe use and maintenance of all department equipment. Notify department manager of equipment in need of repair.
- Assist in monthly inventory and maintain shrinkage and inventory records.
- Fill out inter-store and interdepartmental transfer paperwork completely and accurately.
- Handle the discontinued items and any paperwork that needs to be done.
- Effectively manage the department staff; align daily objectives and efforts with overall company objectives.
- Assist the department manager with scheduling. Oversee staff lunches and breaks.
- Provide feedback to employees and manager regarding employee performance and evaluations.
- Interview potential candidates and provide training and feedback for all new hires.
- Previous experience with or knowledge of cheese products strongly desired.
- Previous supervisory experience, merchandising, and ordering experience strongly desired.
- Ability to project an outgoing, friendly personality and work as positive team member.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands in a dynamic setting.
- Experience and willingness to serve the public.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Able to stand for two or more hours at a time.
- Manual dexterity with hazardous equipment. Must be 18 years of age to operate equipment.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs without accommodation and up to 80lbs with accommodation.
- Able to understand written and spoken English.
- Willingness to work various shifts including early morning, evenings, and weekends.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Employees are always expected to follow their supervisors’ instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors and store management.